Monday, May 6, 2019

Career



What does having a career mean to you? Some of you may say it is having work satisfaction, being at senior management level, having a high pay or perhaps a regional position. 

For those who are entering the workforce, the course that you study will indirectly determine the type of jobs that you will be applying for. Some of us will then be forced to take on jobs that you have no interest in. I was one of them.

I graduated with an Arts Degree majoring in Economics and Statistics. My A level grades did not give me the opportunity to choose what I wanted to study - which was then marketing and business. It took me 10 years and the relevant job experiences to allow me to do my Masters in Mass Communications. I really enjoyed the course and I am thankful to find myself in a career that I am passionate in. 

If you are stuck in your career, what do you do?

 Here are some tips to consider :
1. Network - it is who you know that may get you the next job.
2. Read extensively on career materials online to know the trends - what recruiters are looking are and what skills are needed.
3. Know yourself and find out what makes you tick at work - be realistic.
4. Get a good career mentor/ coach who will guide you in your career journey.
5. Attend courses to upgrade your skills. 



No comments:

Post a Comment